Rei - Please Respect The Dojo
One of the key principles in Aikido is respect. Please take note of the dojo rules when practising at our dojo's.
- Bow when entering or leaving the dojo and the mat.
- Be on time to help lay the mats at the start of class. All members should help to sweep, clean, and put the mats away at the end of class - do not wait to be asked. Mats should be tidied at the end of class before changing.
- The dojo should be cleaner at the end of class than at the start - please dispose of any rubbish e.g. empty water bottles.
- If you are late for class, please do your own warm up at the side of the mat. When you are ready to start practice, wait at the side of the mat for the instructor's permission to enter.
- If you need to leave the mat for any reason, check with the instructor first, do not walk on and off the mat at will.
- While you practice, always take care of your partners and pay attention to others working around you.
- Personal hygiene is very important, body, hands and feet should be clean before practice. Toe and finger nails short and filed at all times. Ensure your keiko gi is clean before practice.
- Do not walk over the floor in bare feet - take your shoes/ socks off by the mat provided and wipe feet before stepping onto the practice mat.
- Ensure all cuts are covered. If you do bleed onto the mat, please clean it up immediately.
- Remove all jewellery. Rings or piercings should be taped if they cannot be removed. Long hair should be fastened with soft ties, not plastic or metal hair clips.
- Make-up should not be worn during keiko.
- T-shirts may be worn under the keiko gi, but they must be white or black, with no prints visible.